Monday, June 16, 2014

(Bayley)

First of all, last night in a lesson I pulled out 2 Nephi 31:21 (once again) And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end. Amen. and realized that that particular scripture is something I've come close to overusing on my mission, and it got me thinking about other things that my mission has me using excessively, such as the following:

1) Sticky notes
2) Tide-to-go (LIFESAVER)
3) 3 Nephi 11
4) Packing tape (used to missionary-laminate everything under the sun)
5) This quote from Dieter F. Uchtdorf: "Our destiny is not determined by the number of times we stumble but by the number of times we stand up, dust ourselves off, and stride forward"
6) The introduction page to the Book of Mormon
7) After-bite itch eraser cream. Stinkin' mosquitos
8) Every Jeffrey R. Holland Mormon Message in existence
9) Red pens
10) And last but certainly not least, pictures of the first vision.  Spirit bomb.
So yeah.  There really was no point to that except that I wanted to make a list.  I have no regrets.

In case you were wondering, last Monday's nerf war was a total success.  Having some experience in the art of Nerf war thanks to my siblings, I led us in the game of zombies versus survivors, which required some missionaries to set aside the Nerf guns and be zombies instead - and let me tell you, we had a couple of elders who went so full out in their zombie characters that I was a little terrified for my life.
The one downside of the Nerf war was that my dear companion was feeling a bit out of sorts, and sure enough the next day she was horribly sick and couldn't get out of bed.  Now let me tell you, there are really few things that are as difficult for a missionary than having a sick companion, but being in perfectly good health yourself.  So I made a few phone calls and worked things out so that Sister Killian would go rest in a members' home while I would go on member splits for the day to teach those lessons we had scheduled.  Poor Sister Killian, I'm pretty sure I'm THE worst companion to have when you're sick.  But hey, we have top notch members here willing to be our companions for a couple of days, so that was definitely a blessing.
Other than that, here a few highlights of the week:
1) torrential Texas thunderstorms that make you wonder if you missed the "hey there's a hurricane" text I'm certain we would receive in such circumstances.
2) teaching young children about the Plan of Salvation, and trying to tell them that no, you don't want to go to the star you want to go to the sun, even if the star is their favorite shape.  They'll get it eventually.
3) Watching the Restoration video with our recent convert, Mary (who is basically my favorite ever) while her sister goes back and forth from the kitchen bringing our more and more snacks with every trip.
4) Helping a member family move and watching the elders try and maneuver a couch out the door while they ignored my advice to turn it around the other way, which - when they eventually decided for themselves that maybe they should turn it the other way - turned out to be the only way the couch would fit out the door (fact - nobody here thinks sisters are at all capable of helping lift heavy boxes or furniture or really help move at all, except to stand around and offer the guys water, which, in case you're wondering, isn't really a philosophy I agree with.  I love all the elders here, but I know that with the exception of maybe one or two, I have more experience in moving than all of them, and am more than capable of lifting as much as they can, if not more - so service opportunities like that are always a great opportunity for me to remember and practice Christlike attributes).  But seriously, we may wear skirts instead of ties, but we can help too.
But honestly the best part of the week was when, on Saturday, we got to go with Brother and Sister Paris to the temple to do baptisms for the dead.  Sister Paris was baptized for her grandmother, and Brother Paris for his wife's father and grandfather.  It was a truly amazing experience, and the Spirit that was felt there was so strong.  And it was such a testament of the inextricable connection between temple work and missionary work - they really are one and the same, and the work we do here enables so many other people - not just on this side of the veil - to discover the happiness of this gospel, and it enables families to be linked together for time and all eternity.  What a blessing.
Moral of the story - GET TO THE TEMPLE.  Greatest place on earth.
Love yall,
Sister Bayley Enright

 My district that was so rudely torn apart this last transfer - back row Elders Henrie, Six, Brewer, Yeates, Sarchet, Nonu, front row Sisters McQueen, Kidd, Killian and me



Houston temple, SO BEAUTIFUL, RIGHT?



No comments:

Post a Comment