Monday, November 10, 2014

(Bayley)

This has been one of those weeks where on Friday night when I finally sit down with my journal, I write as if it's Tuesday, in a desperate attempt to catch up.  This week's been CRAZY!  We had exchanges, we had MLC (missionary leadership council - our monthly meeting with the mission president and all zone leaders and sister training leaders) we had zone conference, we had Sister Stofferahn's birthday - it's just been all over the place, but in a wonderful way.

But before I get to all that, check this out!  I got xrays of my wrist:


Yup.  I am officially a cyborg.  

Looking back at the whole breaking-my-wrist incident, it is just an incredible testimony to me of the reality of miracles and the power of faith.  My wrist was BROKEN, and yet today you would barely know - I can even do pushups again, though not very many, and not very well - but I'll get there!  And I am confident that the rapidness of my recovery can be attributed to several things:
1) getting a priesthood blessing
2) keeping my focus on Christ and on doing His work, regardless of my limited capabilities
3) the prayers of myself, my companion, other missionaries, members, and friends and family at home

Not necessarily the ideal learning experience, but it was a powerful faith-building opportunity for Sister Stofferahn and myself.

Anyways, that said, let's get to this week!

Highlights include my exchange with Sister Crump (who is now serving in Huffman, in my district) - first time I got to exchange with a previous companion, and it was my own daughter!

Highlights of that exchange include helping out with family history at the local library, a drug bust, and getting caught in a rainstorm that was mostly dangerous because of the falling acorns that left bruises.  True story.

We also had zone conference this week, which was of course incredible faith-building and inspiring (and then also mildly humiliating, but that was mostly due to that beloved T.H.E Mission tradition of making birthday-missionaries don red cowboy hats and kerchiefs and dance to a T.H.E song written to the tune of the Yellow Rose of Texas.  So rude).  At the conference, President Drake spoke to us about the importance of work, and he shared a quote from President Hinckley that I love - "work is the process by which dreams become reality...It is work that spells the difference in a [person's] life...it is work that lifts us from the stagnation of mediocrity."  In thinking about it, there are a lot of things - a LOT of things - that I simply struggle to accomplish (I don't want to say I "can't" do them because I know that technically if I really wanted to, I could accomplish anything).  These weaknesses vary from my inability to dance or ski to being forever awkward at contacting people.  But regardless of our natural strengths or weaknesses, no matter what we may lack, we can all WORK.  And eventually, in working so hard, those weaknesses and shortcomings will be made up for, and will in time become strengths of their own.  So that thought brings me a lot of comfort, to know that no matter how much I *can't* do - I certainly *can* work.

Another highlight of this week was our lessons with Angelina, a nine year old girl in a part member family that our Bishop asked us to work with.  Each time we go over, we teach her as well as her seven year old brother and four year old sister.  As the brother, Tommy, introduced them - "Angelina's smart, Katie's funny, and I'm awesome." Haha.  And let me tell you, I absolutely LOVE teaching children.  They just *get* it.  You present the lessons in the most simple of terms, and all that really matters to them is how they feel.  And they are just so excited by everything you tell them - like when Angelina and her siblings found out that God hid ancient gold plates and that Joseph Smith found them and that they are today the Book of Mormon, they were so excited!  And there is just nothing better than helping families learn about and live the gospel and then see the changes that it makes in their lives.

Thank yall so much for all your prayers and for your support and for helping bring about the Father's work in bringing His children back to Him - after all, it's really the only thing that matters.

Love yall,
Sister Enright

No comments:

Post a Comment