Monday, January 5, 2015

Of the Most Worth (Bayley)

It's a surreal experience to be writing this, knowing in my mind that tomorrow is my last day as a full time missionary, but at the same time in my heart just feeling like it's just the beginning of another week.

Words cannot express how I feel about my mission, or about what my mission has meant and will continue to mean to me.

But I'm still going to try to put *something* of it into words.

Yesterday was fast and testimony meeting in the Humble ward, and the very first person to stand at the pulpit was my convert, Robin.  She bore powerful testimony of the truthfulness of the restoration, of the power of the Book of Mormon, and declared at the conclusion of her testimony that she is "a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."  The Spirit that flooded the chapel in that moment was very real, and I was reminded of what an amazing privilege it has been to be able to be part of such a great work as bringing others to Christ.  After Robin sat down, a few other people stood to share their testimonies, including two other converts baptized in my time here - Booney, and Gaby.  For all three of them, this was the first time they had shared their testimonies from that pulpit.  Each of them shared humble testimony that God had led them here, and the gospel was true, and that it has changed their lives.  Never before have I sat in a sacrament meeting where the spirit was so prevalent.  There was such stillness, and such reverence, that it was clear to me that our Heavenly Father was there.

And as we sang the closing hymn, "Lord, I will Follow Thee," the words of the first verse stood out to me in a way they never have before:
"Savior, may I learn to love thee, Walk the path that Thou hast shown
Pause to help and lift another, finding strength beyond my own.
Savior may I learn to love thee, Lord, I would follow thee."

That has been my mission.  Following in the footsteps of my Savior, I have felt his strengthening arm as I have extended mine own towards others to help guide them along the pathway that leads towards eternal life.

In Matthew chapter 25, Christ shares the parable of the talents.  He tells of how three servants were each given talents by their master.  The first was given five, the second two, and the third just one.  
"Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.  And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two.  But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his Lord's money."
When the Lord returns, he looks at what his servants have done with the talents he gave them, and to the one who buried his in the earth, he declares him a "wicked and slothful" and "unprofitable servant."
But to the first two he says:
"Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things."

Those words have come to mean so much to me as I have neared the end of my mission.  These 18 months really have been those five talents entrusted to me, and I know that as I have strived my best to serve my Lord and do His will, "faithful over a few things," that he has "many things" for me to do at home.  Though my time as a full time missionary may be nearly over, my mission is not.  Wherever we are at in our lives, in whatever circumstance, we have been entrusted with "talents" - whether that talent is our time as a missionary, as a parent, as a child, in a calling, whatever it may be.  And so the question is - how are we using those talents?  Are we burying them in the earth, wasting them on the world?  Or are we focused on the things that matter most?  Are our eyes set to the earth, or to the eternities?

Doctrine and Covenants 15:6 reads:
"And now, behold, I say unto you, that the thing which will be of the most worth unto you will be to declare repentance unto this people, that you may bring souls unto me, that you may rest with them in the kingdom of my Father. Amen."

I know that that scripture is true.  That truly the thing that is of the most worth is to declare repentance unto this people, that I may rest with them in the kingdom of our Father.  I love the promise at the end of that scripture.  The people I have met on my mission have come to mean so, so much to me, and there is no greater promise God could give me than that I could "rest with them" forever.

I am eternally grateful for my mission.  These past 18 months have been the most precious and sacred 18 months of my life.  Within this time, I have come to know who my Savior is.  I have come to realize the power of His infinite Atonement to help every single one of God's children become better.  I have come to know of what matters most, that God's entire work and glory is "to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man," and that if that is His priority, so should it be ours.  I have learned charity.  I have learned faith.  I have learned the gospel.  And even more precious to me, I have seen others learn that as well.

May God be with yall till we meet again,

Love,
Sister Bayley Enright

With the parson family :)

​jen and niki!

 ​One last district picture! sorry elder knebel...


 ​Humble ward yw :)




No comments:

Post a Comment