Monday, April 6, 2015

GenCon 2015 (Rhys)

Before I actualy get to the GenCon details, I first have to explain something that happened at the beginning of the week that is relevant to and essential to what happened AFTER the conference was actually over. Oh, and before I get lost in story telling, we found out this week that starting today, we will no longer be allowed to eat lunches or dinners or even accept food from the members and investigators in our mission. Sad day.

So, last Monday, the last time that I talked to all you lovely people, Elder Tracy and I were walking towards an appointment at about 7:30 at night, that´s 19:30 for any Argentines reading this. We´re walking on what may be the most busy road in our area (seeing as it´s one of the only paved ones) and conversing about how the last lesson went. A car stops on the other side of the road and the driver yells from the rolled down window, "ELDERES!! Vengan, vengan acá!" So, we went.

The Members name (because yup, you guessed it, it was a member) was Luis and he wanted to introduce us to Gustavo and Fabaiana, cousins who had just been bombarding the member with questions about the church and the member had just said, while answering their questions, "deben hablar con mis amigos, los misioneros!" And tada!! he saw us, pulled over and called us over. We met Gustavo and Fabiana, got their number, direction and an appointment. We then visited them wednesday and gave them copies of the first lesson and a book of Mormon (the member had already given Fabiana a Book of Mormon, so we just gave one to Gustavo). They also informed us that Fabiana was just visiting, so she may not be here for the second lesson, but they accepted baptismal dates and the challenge to read the Book of Mormon.

Now, GenCon. Not much to say other than all the Gringos huddled in what was dubbed, the Gringo room and we all got blown away by Jeffery R. Holland´s talk. Also, seeing as I´m back in the Formosa stake, I got to see some of the people from my first area!! it was great to see them again and see how much the kids have grown ( a lot) and it was super surprising to find out that they recognized me seeing as I was bald, burned, and a little bit chubbier when I was there. What´s funny though, is that the exact member that shaved me bald my first week in Argentina actually was the first to see me and greet me during a choir practice earlier in the week and she said that she recognized me due to the hair. . . . funny, you remember that huh?? jajaja, it was great to see them again and they all commented on how now I can speak Spanish, but that they didn´t understand anything that I said when I first got here, that´s nice to know.

Now, After conference last night, we had the return appointment with Gustavo, who unfortunately didn´t make it to conference. Fabiana had already returned to Paraguay (across the river) and so couldn´t attend the charla. But, Gustavo had already read the introduction, the testimonies, and has started to read first Nephi. He told us that he knows the Book of Mormon is true and that made me and Elder Tracy pretty darn happy.

There we go, that´s my story, btw, funny little thing that I forgot to tell you guys in quitilipi, one of my towels got stollen. Yup, I´ll explain that one a little more later on, but now I have one towel. Yay.

Elder Enright

No comments:

Post a Comment