Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Last P-Day (Rhys)

I was thinking all this morning of what I´m going to say in my email to you guys (all yall) and what I´m going to share as part of my last email that I´ll be sending out from the mission field. The reason that it´s honestly tough to think of what to say is because though the normal excitement that transfers always brings is in the air, I can´t believe for a single second that by this time next week, I´ll be heading home.

       My mission has meant a lot to me. Though my actual idea of what a mission is and should be changed through the course of my mission, the mission has been changing and shaping me from start to finish. I can´t tell you exactly what I expected from a mission because I´m unsure of what I was expecting, but can tell you what it means to me now.

       In one of my areas that I treasure most, Fontana, I can marka turning point in my mission. Fontana is also the area that I stayed in for the longest period of time. A whopping 9 months of my mission was spent in that lovely little pueblo. Due to the amount of time spent there, more than in any other area before or after, I can say that I felt like I had already talked to every person, knocked on every door, and tried to reactivate every menos activo family we could fuind. With out a lot of results, I began to question whether I realy was doing all that I could, if I really was spending my time wisely, and if I really was supposed to be there. On top of that, if I really was doing all that I could (which I felt that I was) why didn´t I see the results? It was during this period of time that President Franco asked every single missionary in la Gran Misión Argentina Resistencia to print out and read the talk by Tad R Callister titled Becoming a Consecrated missionary. Not long after that, My older sister sent me a talk from Lawrence Corbridge titled The Fourth Missionary. Reading and pondering over these two talks and the decisions I made to change my mission in this period of time is what changed my mission and what I firmly believe to be what ultimately changed me.

       Because of the revelation recieved by said talks, I realized that there were certain changes that had to take place in me and my mission and they weren´t just going to happen, I had to be the one to make them happen. And I did. Thanks to the epiphany that I recievced over the course of a few days in Fontana, i learned that the purpose of the mission was not to find teach and baptize as many people as I possibly could, but the purpose of my mission was to convert me to such a point that I would want to do these things all day every day for the rest of my mission.

      The realization that the mission was meant to change ME is something that may come naturally to some, but not to me. That´s why I treasure the revelation recieved thanks to my nine months in Fontana. It may be something that everyone has and it may not be as spectacular as some things that thers have, but thatnks to the change that it has brought in me, I´m eternally grateful for it.

       I may say the same of my mission. The personal experiences and changes that I have experienced for these past two years are pérsonally important to me for the way that it has changed me and changed my life.

Enright out.


P.S. the photo is of the time this past week when Gustavo cam a-preaching alongside us, he loved it.


No comments:

Post a Comment