Tuesday, February 28, 2017

We're Only Nineteen But Our Minds Are Older (Aislin)

 OK sometimes it actually weirds me out that I'm a missionary now. Sometimes I still feel like I'm in primary, singing I Hope They Call Me On a Mission, knowing that there was no way I was going to grow two more feet in my entire life but wishing it nonetheless. But sitting in class or in the cafeteria and looking around at all the other missionaries I'm just so in awe of all of us, and simultaneously proud of every other missionary in the room. We're really just a bunch of kids, 18-25 years old - the age-group of kids who are considered by the world the least trustworthy, most selfish, I-have-no-idea-what-I'm-doing-with-my-life-and-I-don't-care kinda people, but the fact that we're also the group that God trusts with His most precious work here on the earth, kids or not, just blows my mind. How cool is that??? 

  Anyways. This week was pretty great, even though it started out rough. Monday morning we had service - which is always a good thing. I was in charge of vacuuming and as I was vacuuming, every time I'd come close to a classroom, someone would get up and close the door on me, and after this happened about 3-4 times, I just thought, "So this is what it's like to be a missionary." 

  The rest of the day was pretty terrible. Sister Rivera left early that morning and I missed her like CRAZY, I was feeling really sick, AND I hadn't eaten much the past couple days because I was sick and nothing sounded good. Plus, I was just feeling pretty down about myself. Before coming to the MTC, I guess I just assumed that Satan would have no power in such a spiritual rich environment like this. Boy, was I wrong. What I realized on Monday was that when when you're where God wants you to be, Satan tries even harder to bring you down, because he realizes that you're becoming one of God's most powerful assets in this world and he just can't have that. I actually talked to somebody about it, about how I was feeling like a terrible, horrible person and that even though it was my greatest desire to be on a mission, I couldn't imagine that I was good enough to be one of God's representatives (which I know is STUPID because I knew that wasn't true at all, but I felt like it was true, and those are two very different things, ya know?), and that I was feeling pretty hopeless. When I said that, he told me "Don't EVER feel hopeless! As long as you have faith in Jesus Christ, you will never be hopeless, because He is your hope." and that was when I realized - DUH. Christ is our hope. MY hope, and I will never have to feel hopeless because Christ will never be absent from our lives. We can only be HOPEFUL. So, yeah. WRITE THAT DOWN, PEOPLE. And always remember, the harder Satan throws things at you the more proof it is that you are where God wants you to be and doing what He wants you to be doing. Oh and when you're feeling like you can't hold on much longer, get a blessing because the priesthood is amazing. I got a blessing from Elder Bringhurst and I felt that wave of awe that God trusts this 20 year-old kid to have that amazing power. I'm so thankful for all the elders here and for their strength and worthiness to have the priesthood. 

 Tuesday was much better. Also, I really started to gain a testimony of Ether 12:27  ( "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto me nweakness that they may be humble; And my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.") One of the best feelings in the world is when someone trusts you with their feelings, opinions, and testimonies. Before coming here, I was really bad at comforting people. I had no idea how to comfort someone, and felt really awkward about hugging people and everything. The only thing I could offer was Nutella and lame puns, but here I've really become a the confidant in our room. When any of the other sisters are having problems with their companions or just aren't happy they talk to me. And I talk them through it, and pray with them, and talk to their companion if I need to. It's pretty great. I'm like the district psychiatrist or something, haha. But really. I always feel so much better after I know that I helped them and that they feel like they can trust me. A real self esteem boost, there.

  On Wednesday I got my first package! It was freakin' HUGE. Walking back from the mailroom - with a dozen Strawberry rolls and a ridiculously big smile on my face - I had a couple people wish me happy birthday. I just said, "Thanks! It's not 'til October but thanks!". We still haven't finished them all the rolls. They're sitting on my dresser for late night sugar craves, I guess. Also, remember that one district I bonded with over Star Wars? I just call them the Star Wars District and they call me Sister Star Wars and give me high fives every time we run into each other, hahaha!

  Oh yeah, we had a medical emergency on Wednesday. THAT was exciting. We'd just come back from gym time and Sisters Sage, Haughawout, and I were all waiting for Sister Horlacher to be ready so we could all head to class together. We were just sitting in our bedroom waiting for her to get out of the shower when she came limping in with her leg dripping blood. Turns out she decided to try and shave her legs - with a brand new razor, by the way - in a 3 minute shower and just ended up cutting her leg. Really bad. I don't even really know how she managed it. She basically shaved off three inches of her skin. So we ran into the bathroom with her, she sat on the counter, I grabbed some paper towels and applied pressure to her leg while Sisters Sage and Haughawout ran to the nurse to grab some bandages. We got her wrapped up and I wiped all the blood off the bathroom floor. That was fun. NOT. She's gonna have a pretty sick scar though. And I'll probably never shave my legs again because that was a traumatizing experience for all of us.
  
  Thursday it snowed AAAAAAALLL DAAAYY. It was the BEST DAY EVER. Oh also, Friday it snowed all day. So that was ALSO the BEST DAY EVER. It was hard to sit inside and watch all the fluffy snowflakes fall from the sky. We were watching it fall when Elder Leavitt said, "wouldn't that be cool if snowflakes actually look like they do in drawings?" and we all looked at him and said, "Elder. They do." HAHAHA. He's from Vegas and says he's never actually seen snow. He even made up a song to the tune of Just Keep Swimming: "It just keeps snowing, just keeps snowing, WHAT DO WE DO IN VEGAS??? It never snows in Vegas!"

  Friday, we had in-field orientation. Which means we went back and forth through a couple rooms, going over the stuff we've learned in the past three weeks and listening to talks from Elder Holland and Elder Oaks. All day. It was fun, but after a while I felt like I really needed to get outside. I'M SO EXCITED TO GET TO THE FIELD but I'm also really gonna miss the MTC. I'm not ready to my district. Especially Sister Haughawout and Elders Wadsworth and Leavitt. We all sit next to each other in class and I feel as close to them as I do to Abby. It's kinda weird, since we've only known each other three weeks but we're all best friends and I'm gonna miss them so much! They're all abandoning me for Portland! But that's fine I guess, 'cause we're all going to be at BYU-I together and so we've planned to have lots of sick District reunions. 

  This week was the last time we got to meet with TRCs! But that's ok, 'cause now we'll have REAL investigators! One of our TRCs was named Leila. She was from a part member family and had just moved to Utah from Hawaii. She was so sweet and basically my favorite person ever. Our last meeting with her, we asked her to say the closing prayer and she agreed to. In her prayer she asked Heavenly Father to watch over us on our missions, and watch over our mothers and to please let them know that their daughters were OK. It was so sweet I wanted to cry! And then she got both of our emails so that she can tell us when she gets baptized - which makes me think she really definitely was a REAL investigator and not just a member volunteer. Aaawww I loved her!

  I miss you all tons!!! I wish I could show you how awesome it is here, and how wonderful our district is! I wanted to tell you about all the running jokes we have in our district but it's hard to describe why they're so funny so I guess that'll have to wait 'til I get home. I leave for Canada early Tuesday morning! AAAHH! I'm so excited!!!!!! Love you all! 

- Sister Enright

These aren't my pictures because the computer doesn't like my camera so these are some of Elder Willoughby's photos:





1 comment: