Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Best Weekend EVER!!! (Aislin)

Hola, mi familia! (Just kidding, I don't speak Spanish. Or French for that matter. I haven't met very many French speakers here yet.)

Didn't you just LOVE General Conference!?!?!?!? I know I did. I also swear that it was a lot shorter than it's ever been. Why can't we have week-long conferences or something? Anyways. It was awesome. I was a little sad that Elder Bednar didn't speak 'cause he's my FAVORITE (well. One of my favorites) but that's OK. I'm totally planning on listening to his talk from the priesthood session later.

OK I don't have a lot of time but I'll try and sum up favorite talks/sessions real quick (also, funny thing. The "morning" session is actually at 1 o'clock for us, so on Sunday when they said "welcome to the Sunday morning session. . . " I was thinking, "Hey! They messed up!" but then I remembered. The church never messes up, I'm just a ditz sometimes, haha)

WOMEN'S BROADCAST: All of their talks were about centering our lives in Christ and I was reminded of the talk from a couple years ago about the clay and having to centre ourselves on the wheel. Also, I loved when Bonnie H. Cordon quoted the scripture, "lean not unto thine own understanding." and talked about how when we lean, we tip off centre and lean away from and lose our centre in Christ. 

ELDER WEATHERFORD T. CLAYTON: I LOVED his talk - and the fact that his name is Weatherford. He just tied in Christ's atonement with the Plan of Salvation SO PERFECTLY. The most important part of the plan is to "come unto Christ, and be perfected in Him"! After all, He is "the way, the truth and the life." and without Him, the whole plan would fall apart!

ELDER MARK A. BRAGG: I really appreciated the number of talks there were about the light of Christ because seriously, that's my favorite symbolism. Just this past week I've filled up my scripture journal with scriptures and quotes about light (including a certain Dumbledore quote, because Dumbledore is so spiritual) because I LOVE it (some of my favorites are Psalm 27:1, 1 Nephi 17:13, D&C 6:21, Romans 13:12, 2 Nephi 19:2. . . And just about a gazillion others). I loved how Elder Bragg said that "Even in the most difficult and darkest of times, there is light and goodness all around us" and the fact that it's always there and it's through Christ, His gospel, and God's commandments that we can obtain that light and add it to our own, ever-growing, ever-burning light. One of my favorite quotes from him was, "You cannot speak of the light in the world without speaking of the Light of the World, Jesus Christ." Everything comes back to Christ! LOVE IT.

ELDER JEFFREY R. HOLLAND: Has Elder Holland EVER given a mediocre or unmemorable talk? I think not (but no talk given by an apostle of the lord could ever be labeled as "mediocre"). He's so good at coming up with analogies and making EVERYTHING relate back to the gospel. I love the assurance that comes from the hymn There Is Sunshine In My Soul Today, that " Jesus listening can hear the songs I cannot sing!". Some days, missionary life is really hard. You want so badly to bear your testimony to everyone you meet, get everyone to read the Book of Mormon, and help everyone to feel the joy that comes from living the gospel, but (curse you, agency) so many of them choose not to listen and you just have to hold strong to you testimony and know that if no one else heard it that day, Christ did. GAH, I love Jeffrey R. Holland. Stay in the choir, guys!

ELDER GARY B. SABIN: No, I didn't just love his talk because of the Star Wars reference he used, though that was greatly appreciated. You have to always stand up inside and be willing to be all in! There's a quote I love from Dieter F. Uchtdorf; "If our faith doesn't change the way we live, our religion is in vain and in danger of flatlining." You've GOT TO be willing to give all you've got. Christ needs you, your talents, your testimony, your faith, your strength and everything you ARE to bring His gospel to God's children. There's no fence sitting in this church!

ELDER NEIL L. ANDERSEN: "Overcoming the world is not one defining moment in a lifetime, but a lifetime of moments that define an eternity." We have to overcome the world every day of our lives!

PRESIDENT MONSON: JUST READ THE BOOK OF MORMON, PEOPLE. For reals, it's AMAAAZING. And sadly, super hard to convince people of that.

ELDER YOON HWAN CHOI: I just really loved the picture of the missionaries all looking up, haha! Don't forget to look up when you are in the midst of trials. That's how you'll get the strength to overcome!

ELDER DIETER F. UCHTDORF: Oh boy. I can't really sum it up. It was all so good! Don't let fear be your motivator, and ask Heavenly Father for the ability to see His children in a heavenly perspective. Also, favorite quote, "As we fill our hearts with the love of Christ, we will awaken with a renewed spiritual freshness and we will walk joyfully, confidently, awake, and alive in the light and glory of our beloved Savior, Jesus Christ."

  OK, OK I have to get going soon. But just to finish up, Elder Joaquin E. Costa's was BRILLIANT and I wish I could have all my investigators listen to it. Elder Gary E. Stevenson's was wonderful and really helped me to understand the Holy Ghost and his purpose. I have never been entirely sure how to recognize the Holy Ghost in my life, so I really wanted to focus on that this conference and there were so many talks about the Holy Ghost! I don't remember who said it, but one of them said that if we really want to have the Holy Ghost in our lives we just need to read the Book of Mormon with a sincere heart and real intent, and the Spirit will be there, whether we recognize it or not. It'll take time, but we'll learn to feel it. Also, Elder Benjamin De Hoyos' talk was awesome too because, again, it was about LIGHT and. Well. I love it.

 OK, I planned to tell you other things about my week too but General Conference was the most important and I got that done, so that's all that really matters. Just remind me to tell you about our April Fool's prank we played on the elders! 

 Also, favorite scripture of the week: "And I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do. Nevertheless I went forth." (1 Nephi 4:6-7) I LOVE that scripture and I was reminded of it during conference this weekend. Sometimes, it's not easy for me to recognize spiritual promptings. Sometimes I'm not entirely certain if I know how to recognize the presence of the Holy Ghost, but that doesn't mean I can't trust that he is there. I know that as long as I am worthy to receive his company, and desire to have his guidance, I will have it. Whether I recognize it or not, nevertheless, I will go forth and do the things which I have been commanded. Trust in God and in the Holy Ghost!

  Love you all lots! Stay awesome!!!

- Sister Enright

No comments:

Post a Comment