Friday, June 9, 2017

Missionary Life > Sleep Deprivation (Aislin)

 Hello, all my favorite people. Have I told you recently just how much I love and appreciate all of you? If not, here it is. I love you! Thank you for being awesome and for putting up with me for most of your lives (or for how ever long you've known me, I suppose).

  First off, I can't tell you how many times I've been woken up in the middle of the night by the snores of my companion. I didn't even realize it was possible for snores to reach such a volume. And unfortunately, she falls asleep much sooner than I do. So Sister Kilmer and I lie in our beds, trying to have a conversation with one another over the roar. Also, my current sleeping situation isn't the most ideal. I sleep on a thin foam "mattress" on the ground. But that's OK. I just think, "Well, I'm sure Kegan and Rhys had it much worse." and then I'm fine.

  Anyways. This week was definitely one of the more difficult ones, but sometimes that happens. Hopefully next week will be better.

  I can't believe I've already been out for four months! I remember when Bayley told me just how fast time goes when you're in the field and I didn't really believe her. But holy cow! She was right! Next transfer I'll hit my six month mark! AH!

  Tomorrow we have District Meeting and Elder Phillips - our District Leader - asked me to do a training on finding happiness in our missionary work. I'm a little anxious about it but I think I'll be OK. Luckily it's only supposed to be 10 minutes long and missionaries are always good at participating in discussions, so thank goodness for that. Anyways. I'm going to focus my training on a talk by Dieter F. Uchtdorf entitled, "Living the Gospel Joyful," and on a few scriptures; Alma 26; 28:8, and 2 Nephi 4:17-35 (but mostly verse 19). Alma 26 is one of my absolute favorite chapters in the entire Book of Mormon. I just love how Ammon and his bretheren are always finding reasons to rejoice in their missionary work! Alma 28:8 says, "And this is the account of Ammon and his brethren, their journeyings in the land of Nephi, their sufferings in the land, their sorrows, and their afflictions, and their incomprehensible joy," and then verse 14 says, "joy because of the light of Christ unto life." It just goes along with 2 Nephi 4 when Nephi is kind of beating himself up over his mistakes but then says, "Nevertheless, I know in whom I have trusted." Just like the sons of Mosiah, we're going to go through lots of trials and afflictions but that doesn't mean we can't also have incomprehensible joy! I also love how it says (in Alma 28:8) "AND their incomprehensible joy." We don't have to wait for everything to be perfect before we can be happy! Just like Nephi, we can acknowledge that there will be hard times, but nevertheless, when we know in whom we have trusted - our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ - we can find joy amongst our trials! 

  Anyways. This was a short and fairly boring email. I hope you learned something from it though. ALSO, read President Uchtdorf's talk, "Living the Gospel Joyful"! It's one of my favorites! He talks about how the way to find true happiness is by obeying God's commandments. After all, God's purpose is our eternal happiness. His plan for us is literally called The Great Plan of HAPPINESS. He gave us commandments that He knew would help us fulfill that purpose. So trust in the Lord, trust in His light and His Gospel and God's commandments and we'll find a way to be happy in all our circumstances, because He IS the way!

   Love you all! Keep smiling, keep laughing! 

- Sister Enright

No comments:

Post a Comment